People with Disabilities - SD Awareness

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
People with Disabilities - SD Awareness

...Where People Stand up to be Counted

Psychiatric Service Animals

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Psychiatric Service Animals  Empty Psychiatric Service Animals

Post by Admin Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:46 pm

Although it is not clear, possibly in the late 1990's, when the first Psychiatric Service Animal (i.e. dog) came to play! Nevertheless these service animals are taught to assist those with severe mental disabilities.

The various types of conditions are but not limited to: Major Depressive Disorder, Bipolar (a.k.a. Manic Depression Disorder), Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Anxiety Disorder (a.k.a. Panic Attack Disorder), Autism, Severe Depression and Schizophrenia.

These individuals carry with them a risk of losing consciousness due to hyperventilation. Therefore Psychiatric Service Animals are taught to relentlessly wake their handler by nipping, licking, or even heavy breathing in the individuals face or ear. They also are taught to retrieve items, being focused on their handlers due to memory loss, brace - counter-balancing due to dizziness and or weakness from medication side effects, find keys and phones as well as other items and call 911 in case of an emergency! They also are taught to interrupt repetitive behaviours while trying to keep the individual calm in stressful situations that maybe normal for others. (e g paranoia or hallucinations). The list goes on as many tasks are similar to other types of Service Animals! This depends on an individuals needs.

These wonderful Animals are also considered as a Medical Alert/Respond Animal due to the similarity of their tasks.

In today society there are other types of Psychiatric animals (i.e cats, monkeys, etc.) that provides the same benefits and assistance to individuals with mental disabilities (i e.invisible disabilities).

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Psychiatric Service Animals  Empty Re: Psychiatric Service Animals

Post by Admin Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:48 pm

UPDATED
    However it has come to my attention that many individuals really do not understand about these wonderful dogs especially Autism Service Dogs. Basically because they do not comprehend about Autism! People think that Dogs for Autism are only therapeutic and or emotional support animals (not covered under the ADA). Well all service animals have those two qualities due to the bonding stage but that isn't their main training that's just a big bonus.

So what do these dogs do for people with Autism?

When an individual is having what is called a meltdown like most psychiatric dogs, these dogs will nudge, lick or put his/her head on an individuals lap. Trying to break the cycle per say. Redirect and refocus the individual on something else (i.e. the dog). These dogs are also taught to lay across the individual with Autism for a calming affect by applying some deep pressure. They guide the individual away from danger (i.e. traffic) and counter-balancing when is needed.

As you see many of these tasks are similar to guide, mobility and alert/respond service animals as well as other types of illnesses and disorders. Each individuals needs are different therefore the tasks may also be slightly differ then another person with disabilities.

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 am